Gormley and Johnson Law Offices, PLC
Begin Taking Charge Of Your Situation.
Call 517-219-9301

How can my child support order be modified?

Getting divorced is often a painful process. From the emotional fallout of the dissolution of your primary relationship to the financial impact of splitting your assets, much of what happens isn't pleasant. Many times, it can feel like child support amounts are not fair. It can be tempting, particularly in cases where you don't agree with the custody or visitation agreements, to make partial payments or withhold child support. If you don't agree with your child support amount, you should retain the services of an experienced divorce and family law attorney as soon as possible.

How does Michigan determine child support amounts?

Michigan uses a formula to determine the amount of support that is appropriate for a family's situation. Mostly, it is based on the income of the non-custodial parent. It also considers the length of the marriage, the standard of living, the needs of the children involved, and the income for the custodial spouse. The temporary support and custody orders in place while you are divorcing often take into consideration only information provided by the spouse filing for divorce. This could mean that there is information that the Friend of the Court isn't aware of that could result in a changed support order.

Temporary child support orders aren't forever

It can feel like the time between filing and the finalization of your divorce is interminable, but in reality, it will last between six months and a year or more. During that time, unless you formally request a change or modification to your temporary child support order, you will be expected to pay the amount in your temporary order. Trying to have that amount changed on your own is difficult.

When emotions are high, we are often not our own best advocates. An attorney can present your situation calmly and appropriately to the courts, helping to ensure fairness in the divorce process.

An experienced divorce attorney can help

Retaining the services of an experienced divorce attorney is one of the best ways to ensure that custody and child support orders are fair for everyone involved. If your child support amount is too high, your attorney can request a hearing to consider evidence and potentially modify your child support. They can advocate on your behalf, ensuring that your documentation is properly presented to the right parties. They can also provide you with guidance and advice about your custody and visitation arrangement.

Going through a divorce is a difficult transition. Partnering with an experienced divorce attorney can help to make it easier. If you don't agree with your child support or custody arrangements, you should speak with a divorce attorney as soon as possible.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • 2016 Client Satisfaction Award
  • LC | Lead Counsel Rated
  • 10 Best 2015 Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys TM
  • Avvo Top Contributor 2015 | Divorce
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel | NADC | Nation's Top One Percent
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Office Location:

Gormley and Johnson Law Offices, PLC
101 East Grand River Avenue
Fowlerville, MI 48836

Toll Free: 888-288-5LAW
Phone: 517-219-9301
Fax: 517-223-8233
Fowlerville Law Office Map