Gormley and Johnson Law Offices, PLC
Begin Taking Charge Of Your Situation.
Call 517-219-9301

All parents, even divorced parents, must create a will

Most people only want to think about pleasant thoughts. This is one reason why some parents don't make plans for what is going to happen with their children if both parents pass away.

Having minor children at home is a big responsibility. If both parents die, someone needs to care for the children. If there isn't a plan made by the parents, the children could end up in foster care. There is a chance that siblings could be separated.

A solution to the issue

All parents who have minor children at home should create a will that has guardianship designations. This outlines what will happen with the children if something happens to the parents. You can designate a guardian for each of your children in this document.

Make solid plans now

When you are trying to decide who is going to care for your children, you need to make sure that they will be able to handle the duties. You then need to discuss your plan with the potential guardians to ensure that they will be willing to care for your children. It is a good idea to have at least two people who could take on this job so that if something happens to the primary person, the court would be able to move to the second one.

Evaluate the situation after divorce

If you and your child's other parent are divorced, you need to work together to come up with a plan for your children just in case something happens. By working with your ex, you can ensure that there aren't conflicting directions for guardianship in the estate plans.

Time to take care of this

Today is the best day to create the will and guardianship designation. This is something that you should make sure you have in place before you go on any trips just in case there is an accident while you are gone. Even if you are traveling as a family, you still need this document. In fact, you should carry a copy with you.

Financial provisions

Financial provisions are another consideration. If you have assets that you can use to provide for the children, this can be included in the estate plan. This could take some of the pressure off of the finances of the person who is going to raise your children. It can also make sure that your children have what they need as they grow up.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • 2016 Client Satisfaction Award
  • LC | Lead Counsel Rated
  • 10 Best 2015 Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys TM
  • Avvo Top Contributor 2015 | Divorce
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel | NADC | Nation's Top One Percent
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Office Location:

Gormley and Johnson Law Offices, PLC
101 East Grand River Avenue
Fowlerville, MI 48836

Toll Free: 888-288-5LAW
Phone: 517-219-9301
Fax: 517-223-8233
Fowlerville Law Office Map