Gormley and Johnson Law Offices, PLC
Begin Taking Charge Of Your Situation.
Call 517-219-9301

How could I adopt a child from overseas?

Adopting a child in Michigan is no simple matter, but you would face even a further complexity of rules and regulations if you were to pursue adoption of a child from another country. It is typically important not only that you complete the process carefully, but that you also comply with ongoing requirements and responsibilities to various parties.

Luckily, intercountry adoption is, according to the Department of State website, one of the department's highest priorities. As such, the DOS online resource portal contains a list of country-specific information and links to adoption service providers. You would be far from alone during the process, as you would probably enlist help from state, federal and international authorities, advisers and services. 

Briefly, there are several steps which you would complete when pursuing intercountry adoption, in varying order:

  • Identification of the child's country's Hague Adoption Convention status
  • Completion of forms
  • Engagement with an adoption service provider
  • Connection with support groups or advisers

Furthermore, you would probably need to take steps post-adoption to secure your child's status as a United States citizen. These actions are often necessary in addition to other types of paperwork fundamentally important, but not legally essential, to your child's integration into the society of the USA. For example, you may have to provide regular status reports to ASCs in addition to pursuing citizenship applications. 

Your choice to adopt a child from another country would be a laudable one, but it would probably come with a variety of unique challenges. The better prepared you were for these hurdles, the more you would be able to focus on what is important: parenting your child. Please do not regard this article as specific legal advice. It is meant to inform and educate.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • 2016 Client Satisfaction Award
  • LC | Lead Counsel Rated
  • 10 Best 2015 Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys TM
  • Avvo Top Contributor 2015 | Divorce
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel | NADC | Nation's Top One Percent
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Office Location:

Gormley and Johnson Law Offices, PLC
101 East Grand River Avenue
Fowlerville, MI 48836

Toll Free: 888-288-5LAW
Phone: 517-219-9301
Fax: 517-223-8233
Fowlerville Law Office Map