Gormley and Johnson Law Offices, PLC
Begin Taking Charge Of Your Situation.
Call 517-219-9301

Can you modify a child custody agreement if you move?

Even though your divorce has been finalized for some time now and you and your ex have had a smooth ride with the child custody agreement that was arranged, you have been considering relocating to somewhere else. Now, you are wondering whether or not the courts in Michigan will agree to modify the original agreement based off of the merits that you are moving and may no longer be able to abide by the arrangement that was outlined initially. 

Courts are certainly open to modifying court orders based off of a person's circumstances and the reasons for why they are requesting a change. However, you should be aware that this type of approval may take some time and will require you to be forthright in sharing your reasoning for requesting a modification. According to verywellfamily.com, the court will take into consideration several factors before they agree to modify anything. Some of the areas they will look at including the following:

  • The location where you are moving and whether or not continuing the visitation schedule as it is will be possible. 
  • Your personal reasons for moving and whether or not they are in the best interest of your children. 
  • How much of a disruption your move will create for your children and if there are alternative options that would be a better solution. 
  • The degree to which you and your ex are able to communicate effectively and whether your move will make communication more difficult. 

The information in this article is intended for educational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.  

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • 2016 Client Satisfaction Award
  • LC | Lead Counsel Rated
  • 10 Best 2015 Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys TM
  • Avvo Top Contributor 2015 | Divorce
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel | NADC | Nation's Top One Percent
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Office Location:

Gormley and Johnson Law Offices, PLC
101 East Grand River Avenue
Fowlerville, MI 48836

Toll Free: 888-288-5LAW
Phone: 517-219-9301
Fax: 517-223-8233
Fowlerville Law Office Map