Gormley and Johnson Law Offices, PLC
Begin Taking Charge Of Your Situation.
Call 517-219-9301

Will my child support spending be monitored?

You may have questions about child support during your divorce. Perhaps your friends, associates and family members have told you that the court will keep tabs on how you spend the money. Your ex may have said you are supposed to provide him or her with receipts or may even have a list of expenditures he or she deems acceptable to spend child support on. Understandably, you are probably feeling some anxiety if you are hearing these claims.

Fortunately, these statements are untrue, as FindLaw explains. While it is true that child support is meant for the physical and emotional well-being of your children, you retain control over how to spend the money and what you deem appropriate for your children’s benefit. For example, you may use child support in the following ways:

  • Food, clothing and other necessities
  • Utilities and housing expenses
  • School supplies, tuition and extracurricular activities
  • Doctor copays and prescriptions
  • Savings for emergencies or college funds
  • A birthday present, movie ticket or restaurant meal with your child

You are not required to show the court your spending habits, nor must you give your ex-spouse receipts or submit to his or her child support spending demands. Your obligations are to ensure your children have a safe, secure place to grow up in, to keep them healthy and to build happy memories with them. Child support can contribute to each of these concerns. Since family law issues can be complex, the information in this blog is not meant to replace the advice of a lawyer.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • 2016 Client Satisfaction Award
  • LC | Lead Counsel Rated
  • 10 Best 2015 Client Satisfaction | American Institute of Family Law Attorneys TM
  • Avvo Top Contributor 2015 | Divorce
  • National Association of Distinguished Counsel | NADC | Nation's Top One Percent
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

This site uses Google's Invisible reCAPTCHA, which is subject to Google's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Office Location:

Gormley and Johnson Law Offices, PLC
101 East Grand River Avenue
Fowlerville, MI 48836

Toll Free: 888-288-5LAW
Phone: 517-219-9301
Fax: 517-223-8233
Fowlerville Law Office Map