Protecting Your Constitutional Right To Own A Gun
The Second Amendment protects your right to own and use a firearm unconnected with military service. The Second Amendment also protects your right to use your weapon for lawful purposes, including self-defense and defending the invasion of your home.
Many of us rely on our shotguns and rifles to be able to hunt for recreation and as a means of obtaining food for our family. People who live in rural areas rely on their firearms for safety and protection. There is no crime in gun ownership. However, people have been charged simply for possessing a firearm while being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
At Gormley and Johnson Law Offices, PLC, we know how to protect your freedom when you are facing a Michigan gun offense.
The Facts About Guns And Criminal Charges
- Michigan has several laws relating to gun manufacture, transfer, distribution, sale and possession, especially concerning semi-automatic firearms such as the M16 rifle or modified firearms such as a modified AR-15. We understand what constitutes illegal possession of a firearm and what does not.
- If you are charged with illegal weapon possession, sale, use or another infringement, you could face a criminal record and a permanent red flag on any background check.
- This can make it difficult or impossible for you to obtain or maintain your employment or housing, attain or maintain your professional licensure, ability to legally buy or possess a firearm, get a passport or vote.
We Aggressively Defend Your Rights And Record
At Gormley and Johnson Law Offices, PLC, we know that some charges are bogus or unsupportable and must be reduced or dismissed. We will look at every detail of your weapons charge and arrest to determine whether any evidence against you was obtained illegally and if there was a legal basis for any search warrant issued.
We will also investigate on your behalf:
- Unlawfully obtained statements from you or others
- The technicalities used to determine the type of weapon in question
- Whether you were actually within your rights to possess or use the firearm
- What you knew and did not know about the weapon
Get Proactive Legal Representation
Michigan gun charges are serious matters that require the guidance of an experienced legal professional. At Gormley and Johnson Law Offices, PLC, we can help you move past a firearm offense charge and move forward with your life. Call 517-219-9301 to speak with a member of our team about how we can help.
Calling after regular business hours? Send us a summary of what happened. We will get back to you as soon as possible, typically the next business day.