For the convenience of our clients, we also offer the options to meet via video conference or by telephone

Helping People Move
Forward With Their Lives
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » 
  5. Child Custody
  6.  » Can Child Custody Be Changed After Divorce?

What If I Need To Change My Custody Order?

As a parent, there is nothing you want more than to spend time with your children. If you share custody with a co-parent, though, this is not always easy. You might find yourself wondering whether you can change the custody order that the court issued.

At Gormley Law Offices, PLC, we can assist you with all matters pertaining to custody and visitation. As an established law firm serving Brighton & Howell and the surrounding area, we help parents who wish to modify their custody and parenting time arrangements. Our team of attorneys can explain whether you have grounds to seek a modification and, if so, help you obtain it.

Who Qualifies For A Modification?

If you and your co-parent can agree on the modification to your parenting schedule, then we can assist you in preparing a custody order modification that you and your co-parent sign, thus avoiding going to the court in an adversary manner.

If you cannot reach an agreement, however, you will have to petition the court. Michigan judges do not issue post-decree modifications without good reason.

You must have a significant life change such as:

  • Relocating a significant distance
  • Change in the child’s needs
  • Co-parent consistently disregards the custody order
  • Co-parent has substance dependency or severe mental illness
  • Co-parent has exhibited domestic abuse
  • Your or a co-parent as another significant change in circumstances that warrants a review of parenting time

If you can show the court that you have experienced one or more of the preceding factors, you can likely expect to have your order modified. With that said, you should always have a lawyer on your side during the process, from negotiating with your former partner to appearing in court. With representation, you stand a much better chance of presenting your case well and getting the modification you need.

Ask More About Modifications From Our Attorneys

Your life changes, and so should your custodial arrangement. When you need help with a modification, you can turn to Gormley Law Offices, PLC, for reliable service. To schedule an initial consultation with a lawyer, please call us at 517-219-9301, call us toll-free at 517-219-9301 or send us an email.