For the convenience of our clients, we also offer the options to meet via video conference or by telephone.

Helping People Move
Forward With Their Lives
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » 
  5. Divorce
  6.  » Divorce FAQ

Answers To Common Divorce Questions

At Gormley and Johnson Law Offices, PLC, we understand that a divorce is a significant life change with many unknowns for individuals across Livingston County. We are here to guide you through the process and eliminate the anxiety and stress that this major change can cause.

Over the years, we have been asked many of the same questions. Here are some common questions and answers.

Can One Attorney Handle The Divorce For Both Parties?

Put simply, no. A divorce attorney is an advocate for a person, not a process. Each spouse must have their own representative.

Do Both Spouses Have To Have An Attorney?

Technically no. Although it is recommended that each spouse attain legal representation to have the “legalese” explained. Having an attorney represent you can also ensure that you understand what you are agreeing to and the options you have. A divorce attorney is someone who acts as your advocate. This person should have your best interests at heart.

Will I Get To See My Kids After My Divorce?

The courts generally agree that it is in the best interest of the child to have both parents in the child’s life. It is also in the child’s best interest to be in a stable home environment with as consistent a schedule as possible. Some considerations can affect child custody. These include abuse, mental illness, criminal activity or addiction issues on the part of a parent.

Will I Have To Pay Child Support?

Guidelines established by the Supreme Court determine child support in Michigan. The income of both the parents and the time the child or children spend with each parent are factors. The costs associated with bringing up the child are also taken into consideration. These costs can include medical, dental, educational, health care and child care cost.

Can Child Support Be Modified?

In certain instances, child support can be modified. This can include a job loss, a health crisis or a major family change. Payments are ordered and modified via the circuit court. You must file a motion and it must be approved to get a payment modified. Past payments cannot be modified.

Will I Have To Pay Alimony?

In Michigan, alimony is determined by an established set of criteria that considers 12 separate factors. These include the ages of each spouse, their earning capacity, fault and their health. The court may also take into consideration behavior, contributions and dependence. Michigan alimony is decided on a case-by-case basis.

Get Answers To Your Questions

Still have questions? We offer a free, one-hour consultation at our office or by phone. We can answer your questions and explain the divorce process, its timeline and our rates. Call 517-219-9301 and speak with a family law professional. You can also send us a brief email describing your issue and we will get back to you.