For the convenience of our clients, we also offer the options to meet via video conference or by telephone

Helping People Move
Forward With Their Lives
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Can you modify a child custody agreement if you move?

Can you modify a child custody agreement if you move?

On Behalf of | Mar 17, 2019 | Family Law

Even though your divorce has been finalized for some time now and you and your ex have had a smooth ride with the child custody agreement that was arranged, you have been considering relocating to somewhere else. Now, you are wondering whether or not the courts in Michigan will agree to modify the original agreement based off of the merits that you are moving and may no longer be able to abide by the arrangement that was outlined initially. 

Courts are certainly open to modifying court orders based off of a person’s circumstances and the reasons for why they are requesting a change. However, you should be aware that this type of approval may take some time and will require you to be forthright in sharing your reasoning for requesting a modification. According to, the court will take into consideration several factors before they agree to modify anything. Some of the areas they will look at including the following:

  • The location where you are moving and whether or not continuing the visitation schedule as it is will be possible. 
  • Your personal reasons for moving and whether or not they are in the best interest of your children. 
  • How much of a disruption your move will create for your children and if there are alternative options that would be a better solution. 
  • The degree to which you and your ex are able to communicate effectively and whether your move will make communication more difficult. 

The information in this article is intended for educational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.